Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

Our school

Situated on the outskirts of Toowoomba, our school is the oldest continually-open school in Queensland. In 1851, a group of local residents requested land to build a school to provide education for the children of the local area. A slab and bark structure was built, with space for two classrooms and basic accommodation for the school master and his family.  When the Drayton National School opened its doors on September 6th, 1851, 24 children were enrolled. In 1860, following the declaration of statehood for Queensland, the school became Drayton State School.
From this start, our school has grown to an enrolment of approximately 300 students from Prep to Year 6. Our current classrooms, hall, library and computer rooms are a far cry from those early days. However, we are proud of our history, and our links to surrounding city and country on the Darling Downs.                                                                                                                          
Our heritage is part of regular school activities. Our three sporting houses are named after local families who have been involved in our school over many decades; Devine, Peak and Sowden. Each year, the Cissie Devonshire Award is presented to a student who shows care, compassion and responsibility, in memory of one of Drayton’s long-term residents and former pupils. The Schultz Family award recognises sporting achievement, and representation of our school at district, state or national level. Our students continue to work together with honour for success, as Drayton State School students have done for almost 170 years.

 

 Photo Gallery